She says: ‘In women, Google.site androgenic hormones are produced in the adrenal glands or in the ovaries. Androgen excess can often be categorised into three different segments, and sometimes one person could suffer from all three at one time:
- Ovarian androgen excess – often caused by PCOS and/or insulin resistance
- Adrenal androgen excess – often caused by excess stress or a genetic condition
- Androgen sensitivity – often caused by inflammation and/or use of the contraceptive pill
When advising on how to reduce the adrogens that cause acne Amy says that there are a few simple changes you can make.
1. Quit sugar – Foods high in sugar boost insulin levels which causes ovaries to produce more adrogens.
2. Exercise more – Research shows that a loss of body fat can severely reduce adrogens.
3. Drink spearmint tea – This is proven to reduce testosterone and is thought to have a similar effect on adrogens.
4. Take anti-adrogen supplements.
5. Zinc can help reduce acne and can be taken in the form of a multi-vitamin.
6. Resihi – Studies show that Reishi mushrooms can help to reduce adrogens
7. Peony & liquorice – These are known for helping to reduce hormone production
8. DIM – This natural compound found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and sprouts that helps the body to metabolise oestrogen properly.
9. Cod liver oil – Helps to reduce adrogen production.